Saturday, January 29, 2011

What’s new?

Posted by Komal RK at 10:51 PM
I’ve always been big on procrastinating. Each time getting more adept at it and somehow the guilt quotient seems to be on a decline; works for me. So here we are almost a month into 2011 and I’m wondering what is so different apart from the date, the year, what has changed? The monotony of my days suddenly seems to hit me in the face, what’s frightening is that I’ve become quite comfortable in it.

Yes I have a very big and grand to-do list, all the glorious things I’ve always wanted to do, but somehow these things always have remained in the corner of my handbook, on my study table. They just lay there, never forgotten but never put into action. And the list keeps growing, as does my interest in the varied activities. Today I found 5 such lists I’d made for the last couple of months and when I sat to tick off the things imagine my shock to see the same 1st list with a few additional to-do’s from 1 to 5!! Why didn’t I go for those painting classes I’ve always wanted to? Why didn’t I go learn the art of pottery that has always been on my mind from the time I had seen a documentary on TV showing a woman molding clay into the most beautiful urn ever! And so on… Damn I did not see this coming. Ranting is good, but also I think I had enough, my sincere efforts this year would be to let procrastination be for things I DON’T wish to do, but for things I’ve dreamed of, there’s no putting them off anymore. To-do lists are bad, just plain useless. I’ve decided to have a list that reads ‘things accomplished’ list. So much more better, serves as a reminding slap on the face when ever you look at it and see how short it is than the ‘ever-growing-warming-my-table-to-do’ list. To write, to travel, to do all those things I’ve always wanted to, to stop existing and start living my life, for myself, that’s what 2011 will be for me. *fingers crossed*

7 comments:

Manoj Ramchandani said...

lol. funny! will we see another post when the 'things accomplished' list will be empty? everybody faces the same situation, a common one. Being focussed helps in accomplishing tasks in our assumed time periods. A good note though.

Komal on January 30, 2011 at 11:06 PM said...

Gyaan guru Manoj! :P No you will see a long list of things accomplished...very much so!

Manoj Ramchandani said...

I would wish to :)

Shadowfax on August 26, 2011 at 2:59 AM said...

Having a to-do list sure enforces the fact that one wants to live life Kings size .. . The underlying reason that we do want our lists is our need to constantly change the 'Status Quo' and maybe for a sense of adventure . . If the past is any indicator of the future, things never go according to 'THE PLAN'. Life as we know it has a great sense of humor.
With that said we still make plans and in the words of Friedrich Nietzsche,"The irrationality of a thing is not an argument against its existence, rather, a condition of it."

Komal RK on August 26, 2011 at 6:43 AM said...

Things might not always go according to the plan but there is this; that our decisions and consequently actions makes our choice for us. Inaction leads us nowhere. We decide the major part of the what/how/when/where's of life and that initial step is what's important. Rest as you rightly said, life has a great sense of humor and one never knows how it is to unfold.

Shadowfax on August 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM said...

True true . . .We do like to believe that our lives are in our control . . Descartes once said, "I think therefore I am.' The very thread of human existence comes down to thought . .. We think therefore we are - - Life is but a point of view.... So have we really lost out wisdom? In this present day and age, is progression invariably regression?

Sometimes we seek reality all over and find it staring right in our face . . ..

PS: Lists are alright :D . . Been writing 2 many reports at work all day .. My apologies for going off topic.

Komal RK on August 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM said...

Haha no issues, thought provoking comments are always welcome. Keep the grey cells working.

 

Further and beyond... Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Illustration by Enakei | Blogger Blog Templates